Florida-based Phil Monkress is a business professional with a strong technical background. In his professional career spanning more than thirty years, CEO of All Points Logistics Phil Monkress has been associated with many organizations including KPMG, and Computer Systems International while working with NATO in Italy. Outside of his professional life, Mr. Monkress has a special interest in motorcycles.
Below are some interesting historical facts about Harley-Davidson, the iconic American motorcycle brand known around the world:
1. The blueprint that was originally made in 1901 was for a bicycle. It was the brainchild of Arthur Davidson, Walter Davidson, and William S. Harley. In 1904, William Harley and Arthur Davidson partnered and incorporated Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.
2. The first Harley-Davidson motorbike was a bicycle with a 116cc engine attached. Its carburetor was made from a tomato can.
3. The buyer of the first Harley-Davidson motorbike was Milwaukee, Wisconsin, resident Henry Meyer.
4. The first woman to possibly ride a Harley-Davidson was Arthur’s aunt, Janet Davidson, who also helped paint the brand name on the bike. It is not clear if she rode the bike or simply sat on a standing bike.
5. Harley-Davidson was a winner of “E awards” granted by the U.S. Army and Navy for exhibiting excellence in production during critical wars in the 20th century.
6. The most expensive Harley-Davidson ever made was the CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide in 2013, which cost $40,000.